April 20, 2012
Veridian named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for third consecutive year
Designation recognizes utility for its culture of environmental awareness and earth-friendly business practices
Ajax, ON – Veridian Corporation (Veridian) has been named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for a third consecutive year. The special designation recognizes Veridian as an employer that leads the nation in creating a culture of environmental awareness in its workplace, and one that is committed to earth-friendly business practices.
“Being recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for a third consecutive year is a huge honour, and a testament to Veridian’s ongoing commitment to earth-friendly business practices, sustainable development, smart grid technologies and electric vehicles,” said company President and CEO Michael Angemeer. “This recognition illustrates that Veridian is not just a great place to work, but a company employees can be proud to work for.”
“Veridian’s green thinking represents corporate initiatives and continuous employee-driven efforts that allow our company to grow and maintain a successful business without sacrificing our planet’s natural resources,” said Board Chair Doug Dickerson. “Our corporate social responsibility to the communities we serve has allowed us to recruit and retain talented employees who define our responsibility to think not only about today, but tomorrow as well,” added Dickerson.
Each employer nominated for the award is evaluated on the unique environmental initiatives and programs they have developed, the extent to which they have been successful in reducing the organization’s own environmental footprint, the degree to which their employees are involved in these programs and whether they contribute any unique skills, and the extent to which these initiatives have become linked to the employer’s public identity and whether they attract new people to the organization.
The competition’s selection committee cited the following reasons why Veridian was selected as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2012:
· Has made environmental stewardship a major focus of its community involvement — providing employees who volunteer with access to funds, company resources, facilities and equipment as well as time away during working hours.
· Operates the ‘Veridian Clean Summer Air Challenge’ to encourage (and reward) employees who walk, run, cycle, take public transit, carpool or telecommute to work to reduce their carbon footprints and help clear the summer air in southern Ontario. Participating employees have the chance to win prizes tailored to a chosen mode of transportation.
· The company continues to demonstrate a commitment to green vehicle technology by donating Canada’s first plug-in hybrid solar electric vehicle to the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) for vehicle-to-grid communications testing.
· Provides employees with interest-free loans for the purchase of energy-efficient appliances for their homes and offers a similar program for the purchase of hybrid vehicles that includes an interest free loan to be used towards the purchase of a new hybrid.
· Is a strong supporter of educational initiatives, ranging from a unique energy conservation program designed for grade five students across the region (that is now being exported to other parts of the province) to research support for electric vehicle development at the UOIT.
· Employees located at the company’s expanded LEED-eligible corporate headquarters in Ajax are benefiting from more natural light, inspiring workspaces and unique settings.
According to Fred Damiani, Veridian’s Manager of Human Resources, education and employee engagement are integral to the promotion of a ‘green’ corporate culture. “The company’s annual Earth Week event, together with valuable lunch and learn sessions, provide employees with valuable tips and resources on ways they can reduce their environmental footprint,” said Damiani. “Additionally, the company’s conservation specialist plays a critical role in promoting wise energy use by employees and customers.”
The environmental nod comes on the heels of Veridian receiving a Smart Commute Workplace – Silver designation by Smart Commute Durham. The designation is awarded to workplaces that take the Smart Commute Workplace program beyond the basics by providing enhanced commuter options for employees. Smart Commute Silver Workplaces are making a significant positive impact – on their employees’ commutes, congestion and the environment – and are willing to invest effort and resources to implement relevant programs.
Launched in 2007, the Canada’s Greenest Employers competition is organized by the editors of the Canada’s Top 100 Employers project. The award grew out of two speeches given by Robert F. Kennedy and Al Gore at the Top Employer Summit, held annually in Toronto. Recipients include both public and private sector organizations from almost every industry and region of Canada. The common thread running through each is their leadership in making environmental values central to their corporate cultures. A complete list of Canada’s Greenest Employers is available online at http://www.canadastop100.com/environmental/.
Veridian Corporation, the seventh largest municipal electricity company in Ontario, owns and operates two subsidiary companies that distribute electricity and provide energy services to more than 115,000 customers located in nine municipalities in east central Ontario. Together, our employees focus on providing reliable, efficient, sustainable energy solutions and services, and equally share the job of making employee and public health and safety our number one priority. We are an important fixture in the communities that we serve. In addition to providing reasonable electricity rates, we promote economic growth, community building and sustainable living. Veridian Corporation is committed to providing value and healthy financial returns to our shareholders – the City of Pickering, the Town of Ajax, the Municipality of Clarington and the City of Belleville. For more information, visit www.veridiancorporation.ca.
For more information, contact:
Sales & PR Representative – Corporate Communications
Veridian Connections Inc.
905-427-9870, extension 2218